Sunday, March 30, 2008

NASD be damned

My mother called me early last week and gave me the update on her life in Indiana.

(Let me first state that the point of this blog is to attempt to be impersonal as possible concerning my personal life, and only to share my opinions, relevant information that I find interesting on the matters and inner workings of the world, and the like.)

Anyways, during our talk she mentioned that my sister wanted her to replace some things around her house that needed some spring cleaning. I disagreed with my sister totally and convinced my mother that she should invest the money instead of buying things she did not need. From this talk an idea came to be born. She agreed to send me the money that she had originally planned on spending on sidegrades so that I could invest it for her.

Let me now state that I have no financial background except for a short stint with a French bank here in New York which only lasted for two months. I went to university for Telecommunications and the only things I know about business and the stock markets are the things I have taught myself, either through judicious amounts of studying via the internet, or through reading the exam manual for the NASD's Series 7 test. I do track the market everyday through whatever means I can while at my 9-6 job, those mainly being the New York Times, the stock application on my IPhone (which is woefully inadequate at a 20 minute delay on all updates), or through real-time updating through the internet.

So this is the big idea: Thanks to a little push from my mother, I have transferred 1,500.00 into my E*Trade account to see what I can do with it. I will be updating my wins, losses, and all around heartbreaks through my blog as well as through my covestor.com profile I set up. I will see how well I can do with the money, sharing all activity through the blog.

To begin with, I will only be buying stocks that are a bit speculative, aka, no blue chips like Microsoft, Coca-Cola, or General Electric. As well, for the time being, I will only be buying and selling at market value. If I generate enough capital I may try selling stocks short on a margin account, but that will be a good way aways. I will most likely start with some penny stocks (.01 - 5.00) and see what I can generate.

Wish me well.
 

  posted by Atlas at 5:50 PM
 
 
Comments: Post a Comment