Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Cookiesss (:

Okay, I'll be the first to admit I do not know everything. I will also admit, I traipse around wikipedia.org on a very regular basis, and even further down the rabbit hole still, that I do not question most of the things I read there.

It really boils down to this: Am I going to argue that cytokines play a large part in cellular apoptosis?

I think not.

Since the answer is no, in the fundamental lemming-like effect that Wikipedia was developed on, I will believe most of what I see on the encylopedia of the interwebs, because I'd rather not earn a PHD just to realize how important those cytokines really are.

I had an argument with a house mate the other nite over the question of whether or not the Great Wall of China was an original wonder of the world. I took the stance that it was not, and he vice versa. Before he could blink I was at my laptop with a wikipedia page proudly displaying the search results for "wonders of the world" like the finest of Las Vegas strippers. I was of course right, and he was not. To be fair though, it was later considered a wonder of the ancient world, but not an original wonder of the world.

I read the rest of the post, and to my surprise I saw the below entry on underwater wonders which I took a screen shot of and did not photoshop in any way except to print screen and create a jpeg of it.



I checked again tonite and it's corrected now, but it really shows that we should never stop actively reviewing the things we learn or believe we've learned, on or off wikipedia.

I could go on for a quite some time about different topics that I've read, written, read and/or studied about wikipedia.org, but that may have to wait for another day, for a total lunar eclipse comes our way tonite (next one coming 2010).
 

  posted by Atlas at 6:15 PM
 
 
Comments: Post a Comment